Call for Submission : The Research Series 2017/18
What is the Research Series?
A residency program designed to support dance and movement-based artists by providing resources towards the research process such as artists fees, rehearsal space, performance and public presentation opportunities. The purpose of the series is to allow for in-depth research, critical thinking, risk-taking, innovation, collaboration and process sharing.
Up to three (3) artists or artistic collaborations will be selected to participate in the 8th residency program of Young Lungs Dance Exchange’s Research Series via this application process. Applications will be reviewed and chosen by a selection committee.
Applications must be submitted online to email@example.com
Dates: Currently accepting submissions for two residency periods:
September, 2017 - November, 2017 AND November, 2017 - January, 2018
Deadline: Applications for September,2017 - November, 2017 must be submitted by August 2, 2017 (Deadline Extended)
Applications for November,2017 - January, 2018 must be submitted by September 15, 2017
(Applicants will be informed of the results no later than 2 weeks after the deadline.)
2017/18 Application Guidelines
Applications should include:
1. Contact Information
2. Specify the residency period. Do not include more than one residency period on the same application. If you are applying to both time periods they must be separate applications.
3. Description of Research Project (3 pages max)
•Articulate a research question you plan to investigate and goals you want to achieve with this residency.
•Describe how you will approach your research question - clearly outline the combination of ideas, imagery, materials, content, method, and process.
•If applying with a collaborative project please specify who will be apart of the project (up to 3 artists) and what this collaboration will offer to the research.
4. Artistic statement (400 words or less) For collaborations, this can be a combined statement or the statement of the lead applicant
•Include any motivations, intentions, or inspirations that are a critical part of your artistic process.
•Describe any concepts, materials, subjects, processes, structures, or questions central to your work.
5. 1 page CV (for each collaborator)
6. Bio of a consultant/mentor you would like to have present for consultation/feedback during the research period.
7. The relevance of your research to the broader dance/movement community and society. (150 words or less)
Criteria and Context:
Through the Research Series, Young Lungs Dance Exchange supports rigorous and wide-ranging artistic investigations that contribute to the field of dance and movement-based performance, that may or may not incorporate other disciplines and sectors.
Resources facilitated by Young Lungs during the research laboratory:
• An artist fee of $950 for each artist
• Consultant/Mentor fee of $200
• Access to rehearsal space
• Opportunities to share work with others in Series
• Access to workshops/classes
• Concluding endnote and roundtable discussion on the research
• Public presentation of the research
• Opportunity to have the research considered by a professional writer and visual artist for a dance journal
Each artist/group is required to adhere to the following:
• Demonstrate/show their research at the Research Series presentation night open to the public
• Develop a workshop based on their research open to the public
• Share their process with a commissioned writer, photographer and other artists in series (ie. studio visits, conversation)
• Submit a final report at the end of the residency detailing activities and feedback
Young Lungs Dance Exchange is a not-for-profit artist-run service organization committed to the development, creation, and presentation of contemporary dance and interdisciplinary performance in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Please find more information about Young Lungs Dance Exchange at www.younglungs.ca.
If you have any questions or concerns about the application or the residency program please do not hesitate to contact Leigh Anne Parry at firstname.lastname@example.org.